- 2 c. of unbleached flour
- 1 c. of brown sugar
- 2/3 c. of grated carrots
- 1 ½ c. of oatmeal
- 1 t. cinnamon
- 2 c. of buttermilk
- 3 t. melted butter
- 4 t. baking powder
- 1 t.baking soda
- 1 c. of dried apricots
- Juice & zest of 2 oranges
- 2 eggs
- ¼ t. salt
- 4 T. brown sugar
- 2 T. melted butter
- 2/3 cup of oats
Beautiful colors and flavors – these muffins are sure to be a lunch time hit! Adding nuts, raisins or zucchini provides additional flavor and nutrition.
Step 1 – Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Step 2 – Make the topping: combine sugar, oats and melted butter and set aside.
Step 3 – Make the muffins: Mix flour, baking powder, baking soda, and sugar. Add shredded carrots, chopped apricots, cinnamon, oats, and orange zest and mix well. Add buttermilk, eggs, butter, salt and orange juice and mix again. Do not over mix, just until blended and lumpy.
Step 4 – Bake in muffin papers and fill to about 2/3 full, Add topping and bake for 25 – 30 minutes until golden brown. Cool and enjoy!
- 5-6 oz spinach or mixed greens
- 1 cup Sugar Snap Peas
- ½ lb fresh strawberries
- ⅓ cup sunflower seeds or slivered almonds
- 1/2 cup precooked chicken (optional)
- 1/4 cup feta or gorgonzola cheese (optional)
- Vinagrette Dressing - strawberry, pomegranate or balsamic
Equipment: Colander, Cutting Board, Knife, Large bowl/serving platter or 3-4 plates.
- Rinse and dry greens and snap peas and place in a large salad bowl or platter.
- Rinse and slice strawberries and add to bowl/platter.
- Sprinkle with sunflower seeds or almonds just before serving.
- Add chicken and/or cheese, if desired
- Drizzle with vinagrette salad dressing.
- 1 navel orange, peel and white pith removed
- 1 large carrot, scrubbed, coarsely chopped
- ½ cup frozen mango chunks
- ⅔ cup coconut water
- 1/2 - 1 T. flax seeds
- 3/4 tea. grated & peeled ginger or 1/2 tea dry ginger
- 1/2 tea. dried tumeric or curry (optional)
- Pinch of Salt
Equipment: Measuring cups. measuring spoons, sharp knife, cutting board, box grater, 2 glasses
Using smoothie or ice crush setting, purée orange, carrot, mango, coconut water, flax seeds, ginger, turmeric or curry, and salt, and ½ cup ice in a blender until smooth.
- 1 1/2 lbs carrots
- 1 T. olive oil
- 1 tea. salt
- 3 T. honey
- 1 T. curry powder
- 2/3 c. plain low-fat Greek yogurt
- 1/4 c. snipped fresh chives
Equipment: Cutting board, sharp knife, measuring spoons, measuring cups, bowl, large baking sheet, serving bowl
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Clean and peel carrots. Halve large carrots lengthwise.
- Line a 15x10x1-inch baking pan with foil. Toss carrots with olive oil. Evenly spread carrots in prepared pan. Sprinkle with 1/2 tea. salt. Roast carrots for 15 minutes. Meanwhile, in a small microwave-safe bowl warm honey in microwave for 30 seconds. Whisk in curry powder; set aside.
- Remove carrots from oven. Drizzle with honey mixture; toss to coat. Roast 10 minutes longer, until carrots are glazed and tender when pierced with a fork. Transfer to a serving platter.
- For Chive Yogurt, in a bowl combine yogurt, chives, and remaining 1/2 tea. salt. Serve with roasted carrots.